The sichos of 5751-52 contain many “bombshell” statements that the Rebbe made regarding our generation, the Geulah, and the identity of Moshiach. They are, of course, best understood in the context of the sichos, but for those who want these “bombshells” collected together, here are some of them:
1. “Our generation is the final generation of Galus and the first generation of the Geulah…”
(Shabbos Vayigash, 5751, ch. 8, and in countless other sichos.
See Maamar Basi LeGani, 5711, at length)
2. “The appointing of David, King Moshiach [‘Dovid Malka Meshicha,’ a commonly-used title referring to Moshiach] has already taken place, as it is written [Tehillim 89:21] ‘I have found My servant David, with My holy oil I have anointed him.’ The only thing that is [currently] necessary is the acceptance of his kingship by the people.”
(Shabbos Mishpatim, 5751, ch. 10)
3. “Moshiach himself is literally present, existing now in the world. As it is known, ‘In every generation, there is someone born from the seed of Yehudah who is worthy of being Moshiach, Redeemer of the Jews’ (the quintessential point of the general soul of Israel)… If only negative factors would not mix in to impede and withhold, etc., he would reveal himself and actually come.
“Now, according to the announcement of the Rebbe, my father-in-law, leader of our generation, Moshiach of our generation, that all areas of our Divine service throughout Galushave been completed and perfected, we are standing ready to greet the righteous Moshiach. This means that all impediments and obstacles have been nullified. As such, not only is the actual bodily existence of Moshiach here, but also the revelation of Moshiach. Now, all one needs to do is actually greet and accept Moshiach!”
(Shabbos Vayeira, 5752, ch. 14)
4. “We actually see how the [ruling of Maimonides that Moshiach] ‘will wage the war ofHashem‘ and he will be victorious has been and is being fulfilled in many respects.”
(Shabbos Chayei Sarah, 5752, ch. 13)
5. “Once we already have [in the words of the Rambam] the ‘king from the House of David, deeply absorbed in the study of Torah and occupied with mitzvos [commandments] like his ancestor David… and he will prevail upon all Jews to walk in [the way of the Torah] and repair its breaches, and will wage the war of G-d…’ who is rightfully presumed to be Moshiach [b’chezkas shehu Moshiach], we should thus immediately merit that he already become Moshiach b’vadai [definitely Moshiach].”
(Shabbos Shemos, 5752, ch. 14)
6. “Every single Jew must perform his Divine service in a manner similar to and befitting the days of Moshiach and the subsequent era of Techiyas HaMeisim [Resurrection of the Dead]. This is exhibited first and foremost through faith, anticipation and knowledge that supernatural events will occur in the days of Moshiach, namely Techiyas HaMeisim. [This knowledge is in addition to belief in] all the details as described by the Rambam, ‘A king will rise from the House of David… He is rightfully presumed to be Moshiach.’
“Belief in these concepts must be with certainty, and must be as unshakably firm as the belief in the Ten Commandments. Obviously the belief in Techiyas HaMeisim requires that same degree of certainty and anticipation.
“This must be emphasized so much more in our present generation, when many Messianic signs are unfolding. These constitute a clear indication that Moshiach is already present in the world. Moreover, he is already a prominent Jewish leader, ‘a king from the House of David, deeply absorbed in the study of Torah,’ etc.
“Therefore, in our present generation, great emphasis must be placed on belief in the coming of Moshiach and anything which relates to it.”
(Shabbos Acharei, 5746, Hisvaduyos, unedited)
7. “…The resolution and proclamation of the rulers of the nations of the world this past Friday… in accordance with the verse, ‘They will beat their swords into plowshares,’ is a direct result of the resolution and proclamation of ‘[our] rulers the Rabbis’ that ‘Hinei zeh Melech HaMoshiach ba’ [‘Behold! Here he is. Here comes King Moshiach!’], beginning with the halachic ruling of the Rebbe, my father-in-law, leader of our generation, that all our actions and Divine service throughout Exile have already been completed and perfected, and we are prepared to greet Moshiach Tzidkeinu.
“[This includes] as well the ruling of the [worldwide] Rabbinic authorities… that the time of the Redemption has arrived, [in which] ‘A king will rise from the House of David… he is presumed to be Moshiach,’ and even the time of, ‘This is certainly Moshiach’–a ruling with the authority of Mount Sinai.
“[This halachic proclamation] has been drawn down into the physical world, causing such an all-pervading impact, demonstrating a foretaste and beginning of the effects of Moshiach among the gentile nations.”
(Shabbos Mishpatim, 5752, ch.6)
“Since we currently find ourselves at ‘the high point’ of Moshiach Tzidkeinu’s coming, ‘Behold! Here comes Moshiach!’ we are already seeing (a sampling and) a beginning of theinfluence and effect of King Moshiach on the nations.”
(ibid., ch. 2)
8. “Thus it is important to realize the ruling of Jewish law also for our times (even before the Redemption), that the revelation of prophecy does exist (for Moshiach, even prior to the Redemption)…”
(Shabbos Shoftim, 5751, ch. 9)
9. “One should understand, see and sense, in the literal sense in this materialistic world, the true and complete Redemption in all actuality, and one should study the teachings of Moshiach (pnimiyus haTorah) in a way that he can actually visualize it.
“All this is here already. We need only to open our eyes and we will see it.”
(Shabbos Vayeitzei, 5752, ch. 18)
10. “The words, ‘Please send the one whom You will eventually send,’ [said by Moshe as he petitioned the Almighty to send the final Redeemer, Moshiach] are beginning to be fulfilled. [This is] the mission of the Rebbe, my father-in-law… leader of our generation, the only emissary of our generation, and the only Moshiach of our generation.”
(Shabbos Chayei Sarah, 5752, ch. 13)
11. “We already have the Leviyasan, the Shor Habar, and the Yayin Hameshumar [the giant fish, wild ox, and ancient wine, preserved since the six days of creation, designated for the Messianic Feast].
“The Jewish people are already sitting at the table, the table of their Father, the Holy One, blessed be He, together with Moshiach Tzidkeinu (as it is written in holy books, that in every generation there is ‘one person from the seed of Yehudah who is worthy of being Moshiach’ [Bartenura on Megillas Rus, and elsewhere]. In our generation, this is the Rebbe, my father-in-law.”
(Shabbos Vayeitzei, 5752, ch. 18)
12. “We find ourselves already in ‘the days of Moshiach.’ We only need to open our eyes.”
(Chof Kislev, communal Yechidus, 5752, ch. 7)
13. “The Redemption is nothing new. All its elements have already begun, and have already been brought down and accepted in the physical world, the level beyond which there is nothing lower. Therefore, it should be no surprise when immediate Redemption arrives.”
(Shabbos Shoftim, 5751, ch. 11)
14. “…We see in recent years how the verse ‘and Moshe gathered the Jews’ is occurring literally–the ingathering of the exiles of Jews from all over the world, who are returning to the Holy Land. The [current number of] aliyos [Jews ascending to the Land of Israel] is incomparably greater than those of previous generations.”
(Shabbos Vayakhel, 5752, unedited)
15. “…There is nothing left to wait for any longer, since [the Jewish people] have already completed all areas of Divine service and have done teshuvah [repentance]. It is now solely up to the coming of Moshiach himself.
“[The statements of the Gemara that] ‘It only depends on teshuvah‘ applied some time ago, but now (after teshuvah has already been done), it only depends on the arrival of Moshiach himself. The only thing that is necessary is that Moshiach should actually come, in [such a real way] that one can point to him and exclaim, ‘Here he is. This is Moshiach Tzidkeinu!’ ”
(6th of Cheshvan, 5752, during the visit of Rav
Mordechai Eliyahu, Chief Rabbi of Israel, ch. 17)
16. “Moreover, this [Messianic promise, ‘…and they will beat their swords into plowshares’] will come about through the efforts of Melech HaMoshiach himself. This is expressed in the beginning of the passage, ‘And he will judge between the gentile peoples and admonish many nations.’ This judge is Melech HaMoshiach… As leaders of nations of the world are currently resolving and announcing to reduce and entirely abolish weapons of destruction… it is a clear indication of the beginning of the fulfillment of this promise in the true and complete Geulah, through Moshiach Tzidkeinu.”
(Shabbos Mishpatim, 5752, ch. 2)
17. ” ‘Like the days of your Exodus from Egypt, I will show you wonders.’ This has begun with the manifest wonders which we have seen (in addition to those which we still have yet to see in the future, as ‘I will show you’ is in future tense). These wonders, revealed for all the nations to see, constitute the fulfillment of the [following] prophetic words of the Yalkut Shimoni:
”The year in which Melech HaMoshiach is revealed, all the kings of the nations of the world will engage in a dispute. The king of Persia [Iraq] will antagonize the king of Arabia… And [Hashem] tells the Jewish people, ‘My children, do not fear! Everything which I have done, I have done only for your sake…’ [The Rabbis taught, that at the time of the arrival of Moshiach, he will stand on the rooftop of the Beis HaMikdash and announce to the Jewish people,] “Humble ones, the time of your Redemption has arrived!” ‘
“And since then (particularly from the month of Nisan, ‘the month of Redemption’), we are already ‘at the time of the arrival of Moshiach,’ (‘Behold! Here he comes!’)… and he is announcing to the Jewish people, ‘Humble ones, the time of your Redemption has arrived!’ ” [see ch. 1, par. 9]
(Shabbos Naso, 5751, ch. 13)
18. “According to all our Sages’ predictions concerning the end of Exile [lit. footsteps of Moshiach], our generation is the final generation of Galus and the first generation of theGeulah…
“…It is certain, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that the time of the Redemption has already arrived… Even the prerequisite for teshuvah has already been accomplished and perfected.
“…We have already seen actual wonders which attest to the fact that this is ‘the year in which King Moshiach is revealed,’ and [that this is] ‘the moment that Moshiach arrives,… and he is announcing to the Jewish people, “Humble ones, the time of your Redemption has arrived!” ‘ and ‘Behold! Here comes King Moshiach!’ that he has already come.
“For we are presently standing at the threshold of the commencement of the Redemption. Its continuation and consummation will immediately ensue.”
(Shabbos Balak, 5751, ch. 8)
1. “The leader of the generation is also the Moshiach (Redeemer of Israel) of the generation.”
(Kuntres Beis Rabbeinu ShebeBavel, ch. 5)
2. “I will not be troubled if one will translate “Moshiach” literally, i.e., the righteous Moshiach, since that is indeed the truth. The leader of the generation is in fact Moshiach of the generation.”
(Eve of Simchas Torah 5746, Hisvaduyos, unedited)
3. “In the same generation, all three (acrostic letters of ‘MiYaD‘ [the Hebrew word for “immediately”]) are manifest: ‘M’ (Moshiach), Y (initials of both names of the Rebbe, my father-in-law–Yosef Yitzchak), and ‘D’ (‘Doram‘–their generation).”
In footnote 96, the Rebbe inserts: “It should be noted that Menachem is his [Moshiach’s] name (Sanhedrin 98b).”
(Shabbos Yisro, 5752, ch. 11. See also
Shabbos Tazria-Metzora, 5751, footnote 67)
4. “May we actually merit (the Redemption) immediately [miyad] with all the meanings of ‘miyad.’ This also includes the acronym of the leaders of generations in a general sense,Moshe, Yisroel (the Baal Shem Tov), and David (King Moshiach).”
In footnote 148, the Rebbe inserts: “And more specifically pertaining to our generation, the acronym of ‘MiYaD‘ indicates the three eras of the Rebbe, my father-in-law, leader of our generation, [See Shabbos Vaeira, 5752, ch. 10], from the most recent in order: Moshiach (whose name is Menachem), Yosef Yitzchak, Dovber (the second name of the Rebbe Rashab).”
(Shabbos Mishpatim, 5752, ch. 13)
5. “The King Moshiach… stands on the rooftop of the Holy Temple and announces to Israel, ‘Humble ones, the time of your Redemption has arrived’–as has been announced and is being announced lately… This announcement is coming from the diaspora…”
(Shabbos Chayei Sarah, 5751, ch. 12 and footnote 108)
6. “The Rebbes of Chabad, who trace their lineage back to the House of King David, of the tribe of Yehudah…”
(Shabbos Shemos, 5752, ch. 13)
[In reference to the Rebbe’s father, Rabbi Levi Yitzchak Schneerson, of blessed memory, the Rebbe comments] “In addition, he actually descends from the offspring of David.”
(Sefer Hasichos 5749, vol 2, p. 650)
7. “… that the arms reduction conference, its decisions and announcement took place in the city of the leader of our generation, indicates that all this came as a result of the activities and efforts of promulgating Torah and Judaism, justice and equity, throughout the entire world, which was and is being done through the leader of our generation, Moshiach of our generation.”
(Shabbos Mishpatim, 5752, ch. 3)
Footnote 26 of the above reads: “It should be noted that the United Nations, whose goal is to spread unity and peace amongst nations, was established in the lower [i.e., Western] Hemisphere following and in close proximity to the time of the arrival of the leader of our generation in the lower hemisphere. (It began with the nations’ resolution during the war, approximately in 5702 )…and its location was established in the city of the leader of our generation, including the construction of its headquarters there (approximately in the year 5711) [1951, the year in which the Rebbe assumed the mantle of leadership].
“This attests to and emphasizes the fact that the unity and peace between nations is a result of the efforts of the leader of our generation in refining the world… As the world became ever-increasingly refined through the efforts of the Jewish leader, so too was enhanced the existence and stability of this organization, whose goal is to achieve unity and peace in the world…”
8. “In our present generation, the last generation of Galus [Exile], we are completing and perfecting our efforts in transforming this lower [i.e., Western] Hemisphere into [a spiritual] ‘Land of Israel,’ in the form of ‘Beis Rabbeinu‘ [the house of our Rebbe]. This is a preparation for the complete Geulah [Redemption, which comes about] through our righteous Moshiach, the leader of our generation, who is in fact the Moshiach (Redeemer of the Jews) of the generation.
“Thus it is understood that since the ‘Temple travelled and settled there’ [in the synagogue of the leader of the generation, in the Exile], it follows that the future [Third] Holy Temple will first materialize there, and subsequently be transported to Jerusalem.
” ‘Beis Rabbeinu‘ [‘the house of our Rebbe’] has the address ‘770.’ Indeed, it has come to be called by the name ‘770’ by all Israel. This number is in fact the numerical value of [the Hebrew word] ‘Poratzta‘ [a biblical word meaning ‘you have jumped out.’] Our Rabbis interpret this to be a reference to Moshiach himself, as it states ‘the Poretz [jumper, one who breaks boundaries, said of Peretz, ancestor of Moshiach] will rise up before us.’
“It should be noted that ‘Beis Moshiach‘ [house of Moshiach] also possesses this numerical value of ‘Poratzta‘–770.”
(Kuntres Beis Rabbeinu ShebeBavel, chs. 67 and footnote 92)
Footnote 38 of the above reads: “At the time of the arrival of Melech HaMoshiach [King Moshiach], he will stand on the rooftop of the Holy Temple and announce to Israel, ‘Humble ones, the time of your Redemption has arrived!’ This ‘rooftop of the Holy Temple’ refers to the miniature sanctuary of the diaspora(1) which substitutes for the Temple of Jerusalem.”
9. “Moshiach Tzidkeinu [Our Righteous Moshiach], the emissary regarding whom it was said [by Moshe as he petitioned the Almighty] ‘Please send the one whom You will eventually send,’ namely, the [Previous] Rebbe, leader of our generation. This likewise applies to his successor, the continuation and extension [of his leadership] after him.”
(Sichos Kodesh 5752, vol. 1, p. 318, unedited)
10. “The third period [of the Previous Rebbe’s leadership] is the posthumous continuation of his leadership, following his passing. This began from the eleventh day of the eleventh month [Shevat] of the eleventh year (5711) (2)….
“There was a great increase [during this current third period], greater and stronger than ever before, in the dissemination of the wellsprings [of Chasidus] abroad throughout all corners of the world, to the extent that the [Divine] service has been completed. Everything is already set and ready for the ‘feast of the future,’ the ‘days of Moshiach.’ ”
(Shabbos Vaeira, 5752, ch. 10)
“…and specifically in our times, ‘the days of Moshiach,’ in which we find ourselves now…”
(Chof Kislev, communal Yechidus, 5752, ch. 7)
11. “There [in tractate Sanhedrin], in the beginning of the section discussing Moshiach, theTalmud relates: ‘The academy of Rabbi Shila used to say, “His [Moshiach’s] name is Shilo”…’ [The Talmud continues to list each yeshivah in which the Rabbi of that particularyeshivah was considered to be the long-awaited Moshiach.]
“…And we, Chasidim, follow them and likewise proclaim (with regards to our Rebbes, andspecifically the Rebbe, my father-in-law, leader of our generation). . .(3)
“…It should be noted that Rashi’s interpretation [of the Talmud] is that ‘Each one would teach and find proof for his [own] name,’ e.g., the Rabbi himself, and not that the students would declare their teacher’s name to be the same as that of Moshiach on their own initiative.”
(Shabbos Tazria-Metzora, 5751, ch. 8 and footnote 67)
12. “We are immediately going to merit the fulfillment of the Messianic promise, ‘As in the days of your Exodus from Egypt, I will show you wonders’ with the coming of Moshiach, whose name is ‘Menachem,’ like the name of the Tzemach Tzedek [Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson, the third Rebbe of Chabad] – may he come and redeem us, and lead us proudly to our land!
“For inasmuch as the promise ‘Awaken and sing, those who rest in the dust’ will soon take place…, there will then be a [full] realization of the meaning of ‘Menachem – King Moshiach!’ ”
(Eve of Rosh Hashanah, 5744, Hisvaduyos, unedited)
13. “As such, the Almighty’s Geulah is actually brought about through His emissary, the righteous Moshiach, with all eight names [mentioned in Gemara Sanhedrin 98b] attributed to him. This includes also ‘His name is Menachem.’ [May this ‘certainty’ materialize] in a way that ‘One points with his finger and exclaims “Behold! Here he is!” Here is Menachem, our righteous Moshiach!‘ ”
(Rosh Chodesh Menachem Av, 5749, unedited)
14. “Today on this very Shabbos… the revelation of Moshiach should take place… that we [may] merit to hear the proclamation (throughout the whole world and throughout all the spiritual realms): ‘Behold! Here comes Moshiach!’ (“One will point with his finger and exclaim ‘Here he is’!”), ‘Behold! Here comes the Rebbe, my father-in-law, leader of our generation!’ (as ‘Awaken and give praise, those who rest in the dust,’ and as the Righteous will arise to the Resurrection immediately prior to the Geulah)…”
(Shabbos Tazria-Metzora, 5751, ch. 14)
15. “…For every Chasid believes with complete faith that the Rebbe of his generation, just like the leader of our generation, is the Moshiach.”
(Eve of the fifth of Sukkos, 5747, Hisvaduyos, unedited)
16. “When the [Previous] Rebbe issued his proclamations of ‘Immediate Teshuvah will bring about immediate Redemption!’ Chasidim publicized them with their own addition that this[the Rebbe] is him [Moshiach]…”
(Shabbos Naso, 5720, unedited)
17. [The Rebbe once received a letter from Rabbi Avraham Pariz, expressing his belief that the Rebbe is Moshiach. At a farbrengen (chasidic gathering), the Rebbe discussed the letter in the context of similar expressions during the lifetime of the Previous Rebbe.] “Actually, the Rebbe had never objected to Reb Avraham’s thinking as he did. Moreover, there were probably various others who shared his belief, but did not express it in writing as he did.”
(Shabbos Beshalach, 5724, unedited,
printed in Tzadik L’Melech, vol. 2, p. 64)
1. Editors Note: The thrust of the entire sicha is that ‘770’ is ‘the miniature sanctuary of the diaspora.’
2. Editors note: This is the day on which the Rebbe assumed the mantle of leadership.
3. Editors note: The Rebbe rarely refers to himself directly. Rather, he often describes his leadership as merely a phase in, and extension of, the leadership of his father-in-law. When referring to his own work and life, the Rebbe uses phrases like “the Rebbe, my father-in-law, leader of our generation.” (SeeSichos Kodesh, Shabbos Mikeitz, 5713, Sichos Kodesh 5752, vol. 1, p. 318,Sefer Hasichos 5752, vol. 1, ch. 15. For further explanation on this matter, refer to Likkutei Sichos, vol. 6, p. 283.)
original source: http://www.torah4blind.org/ahwru/chap_1-0.htm